Technical Solutions Resource – Supporting Molding
JOB TITLE/LEVEL: Technical Solutions Manager or Director
- Molding Opportunity “Triage” & Commercial Support
- Opportunity qualification/customer project scoping
- Understanding the end product & application, project and what customer is trying to accomplish
- Project outcomes, cost constraints, launch timing and ramp schedule/fc
- Determining opportunity “fit” v Viant capabilities/strengths
- Helping define the best solution for the customer
- Partner to Sales and Commercial Dev Teams, bridge between customer and Global Tooling group
- New Product Launches
- Where is the product in the development cycle?
- How frozen is the design? How many pre-development design iterations have occurred?
- Pre-production tooling strategy – speed v economics
- Protomold? Mud tooling? Good enough for pre-production?
- Bridge tooling approach?
- New but Design Frozen, or Next Gen with “incremental” change to Existing
- Weigh economics, resin cost, complexity, technical constraints v options
- Single v multi-cavity, 1v2 shot, hot runner, etc
- Tooling source
- Price v time, domestic v off-shore
- Complexity and risk
- Amount of expected grooming, difficulty of set-up
- Injection v insert?
- Understand current molding approach in place
- Transfer strategy – as is, new tools and/or new strategy, risk mitigation needed?
- Hybrid approach (existing + new tool)?
- Viant Mfg Strategy for Opportunities
- Partner with Sales/TS/Ops to develop overall product mfg strategy if more than component level (e.g. assembly)
- Determine best fit site(s) for product mfg and technical support of product/customer needs
- Understand different types of equipment & capacity within Viant network v customer project needs
- Make v outsource?
- Commercial Engagement
- Assist with customer dialogue during qualification, proposal development and proposal delivery – lead technical discussions
- Attend critical customer meetings both at the customer and Viant sites
- Keep up with latest technologies
- Molding & molding-related automation, in-mold assembly, etc
- Alternate mfg methods (additive, etc)
- Attend technology conferences and trade fairs (e.g. K Trade Fair – Dusseldorf)
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Need to have
Technical education – engineering or technical degree
- Years industry experience – 10+ years (desired) molding/mold tooling experience
- Molding experience/expertise
- Injection molding background in mold building and mold design
- New product development and part design for manufacturability
- Familiar with mold flow analysis and simulation
- Processing and mfg production
- Program management (desired)
- Customer facing experience in product development or managing product life cycle/portfolio
- Solution oriented, capable of listening to customers, developing solutions, problem solver
- High energy level, proactive mind set, organized
- Able to build strong relationships – customer & internal, especially with internal operations
- Able to drive and position the “technical close”, present different solutions, best solutions for customer need, convincing customer technical teams we are the right partner
- Strategic thinker
- Willingness and ability to travel
Nice to Have
- LSR/LIM experience
- Experience with in mold assembly and other alternative technology approaches such as RIAS, PIAS, MAUS, and MAIS
At Viant, we focus on providing end-to-end solutions for medical device OEMs. Our deep materials expertise—combined with our experience in engineering, manufacturing, assembly, packaging, and sterilization—allows us to bring our customers’ healthcare solutions to market. We have facilities across the U.S. and around the world, including low-cost facilities in Costa Rica, China, Mexico, and Puerto Rico. Viant provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Viant complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.