Senior Buyer, Strategic Sourcing & Procurement
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB:
The Senior Buyer/Planner is responsible for purchasing and negotiating production and raw materials from vendors, and will rely upon industry knowledge and judgement to evaluate vendor quotes and services to determine most dependable and cost effective suppliers. Will work closely with the supply base to identify and service customer demands, such as cost reduction strategies, new business growth initiatives, and quality and delivery improvement. We are looking for an enthusiastic individual with a can-do attitude who is comfortable in a fast-moving and highly dynamic environment.
MAIN JOB DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure the continuous and timely supply of purchased material to support manufacturing operations.
- Work with vendors to ensure quality, technical support, process control, service and lowest costs are achieved. Manage vendor continuous improvement initiatives.
- Meet with vendors to discuss current performance and opportunities for improvement.
- Acquire and maintain technical understanding for materials purchased along with their cost drivers.
- Define strategies to achieve corporate, purchasing and operational goals, and manage reporting metrics such as PPV, RM working capital reduction, supplier report cards and budget projections.
- Communicate with Quality Assurance and Engineering to improve the cost of quality and resolve issues.
- Identify and launch new suppliers that will specifically address organizational needs.
- Manage sourcing projects, key initiatives and supplier negotiations.
- Performs a variety of complicated tasks. A wide degree of independence and decision-making latitude is expected.
- Train, mentor and assist buyers with job related questions/issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE / EDUCATION
- BA/BS Degree in Supply Chain, Business, related field, or equivalent experience
- Strong computer skills, including MS Office Suite, required
- Strong understanding of ERP/MRP principles required
- APICS certification a plus
- A minimum of five years purchasing / sourcing experience is required, preferably in the medical device or health care industry.
SKILLS / COMPETENCIES
- Quick learner; sharp, flexible thinker
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Ability to work with people and keep a positive attitude in challenging situations
- Attention to detail & strong organizational skills
- Ability to read & review product specifications / prints
- Ability to multitask in a complex, fast-paced environment
- Will constantly use hands while keyboarding to access computer
- Will constantly sit at desk accessing computer and while talking on the telephone
- Will occasionally stand and walk within office area and to and from various buildings at the facility site
- Travel may be required, predominantly local, not to exceed 25%
At Viant, we focus on providing end-to-end solutions for medical device OEMs. Our deep materials expertise—combined with our experience in engineering, manufacturing, assembly, packaging, and sterilization—allows us to bring our customers’ healthcare solutions to market. We have facilities across the U.S. and around the world, including low-cost facilities in Costa Rica, China, Mexico, and Puerto Rico. Viant provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Viant complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.