REPORTS TO: OPERATIONS MANAGER, GENERAL MANAGER
DIRECT REPORTS: BUYER, CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE, MATERIAL HANDLER, WAREHOUSE SUPERVISOR
Materials Manager plans, organizes, coordinates, controls and supervises the purchasing department, customer service, warehouse, and inventory control activities and works closely with manufacturing and assembly to establish scheduling and planning requirements. This position is responsible for effective execution of the job responsibilities noted below as well as the effective execution of the job responsibilities for the following positions (customer service, buyer, warehouse supervisor and material handler).
- Organizes, supervises, and directs the work of material planners and other supply chain personnel engaged in ordering, receiving, issuing, and delivering all product requirements.
- Ensures that overall procurement effort is achieved at competitive prices and quality standards.
- Maintains and coordinates the effective use of the MRP system, to ascertain raw materials inventory levels for an efficient manufacturing operation.
- Develops and executes inventory plans. Establishes lead times and inventory levels for planning/inventory control purposes.
- Promotes and develops new and alternate sources of supply. Encourages competitive bidding and establishes and maintains an annual competitive bid program.
- Engage in supplier negotiations, contract management, procurement and vendor management for site specific materials.
- Leads Master Scheduling and shop floor material functions including Shipping and Receiving, and Inventory control.
- Oversees all activities related to material management of a product, from planning through delivery of completed unit.
- Coordinates with Finance, Business Development, and Engineering concerning Excess & Obsolete (E&O) inventory management.
- Maintains inventory control accuracy through periodic cycle counts, full physical inventories and other methods, as necessary.
- Supervises annual physical inventories, in accordance with Company Policies and Materials Department SOP’s.
- Support MRP and lean strategies such as Kanbans, Consignment Inventory, and VMI etc. where applicable
- Build, sustain and maintain production and materials planning policies and operational procedures.
- Provide direction and support in the development and implementation of new solutions, or strategic and tactical plans that improve systems capabilities to enable more robust planning, inventory control and reporting.
- Work together with production and quality department leadership to maintain customer focus and to reach or exceed established company goals.
- Responsibilities outlined in the Buyer, Customer Service Representative, Material Handler and Warehouse Supervisor job descriptions.
- A successful candidate will be a highly motivated self-starter exhibiting the ability to respond in a fast paced environment and possess the following qualifications:
- Understanding of the principles and best practice methods for material procurement and control.
- Knowledge of medical devices, plastic molding, tooling, assembly & secondary processes in an ISO environment are highly desirable.
- APICS certification and/or four years college level degree in a relevant field. Experience may be considered in lieu of a degree for a candidate who can demonstrate the combination of experience, training and education to be capable of successfully fulfilling all duties and responsibilities of the position.
- 6 years plus experience of inventory management in a formal manufacturing environment using modern/state of the art inventory techniques such as: cycle counting, MRP planning, JIT/Kanban techniques, locator systems
- Experience with ERP/MRP system
- Medium Work – Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and / or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and / or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform activities such as:
- Preparing and analyzing data and figures
- Viewing a computer screen
- Extensive reading
- Visual inspection involving small defects, small parts, and/or operating machines
- Using measurement devices
- Assembly or fabrication of parts at distance close to the eyes
- Worker is subject to inside environmental conditions: Protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature change.
At Viant, we focus on providing end-to-end solutions for medical device OEMs. Our deep materials expertise—combined with our experience in engineering, manufacturing, assembly, packaging, and sterilization—allows us to bring our customers’ healthcare solutions to market. We have facilities across the U.S. and around the world, including low-cost facilities in Costa Rica, China, Mexico, and Puerto Rico.
Viant provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Viant complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.