REPORTS TO: GENERAL MANAGER
DIRECT REPORTS: ENGINEERING ASSISTANT, ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN, MANUFACTURING ENGINEER, PROCESS ENGINEER, SENIOR PROCESS ENGINEER, PROJECT MANAGER, PROGRAM MANAGER, AUTOMATION ENGINEER
This Senior Manager position has functional responsibility for all engineering related activities. The position is responsible for developing and overseeing strategic and tactical plans that meet the divisional and corporate objectives for profitability, cost control, product quality, compliance, employee development and customer service.
- The position is responsible for providing direction to a group of individuals whose charge is to develop projects, processes, and procedures to improve customer satisfaction, efficiency, profitability, and compliance.
- Leads new product teams to help build plans that will ensure a smooth transition from concept to production and full product launch
- Initiates process and product improvements initiatives
- Assumes leadership role in developing, evaluating, and improving manufacturing methods
- In charge of tooling program and serve as an on-going liaison with customer; Keep file on all pertinent information by mold number; track status of tooling order, schedule samplings of molds; communicate customer knowledge to the QA department for individual parts; revise and re-sample tools as needed prior to releasing to production.
- Responsible for estimating through customers received drawings or CAD files to prepare part and tool cost estimates; Reviewing files and drawings for mold ability and suggesting changes to customers when appropriate; planning manufacturing of parts through estimates and preliminary route sheets and bills of material
- Confers with vendors to determine product specifications and arrange for purchase of equipment, materials, or parts, and evaluates products according to specifications and quality standards
- Works with project managers to ensure projects are completed on time and within budget. Leads the monthly project financial review meetings.
- Responsible for annual cost/scrap reduction program; suggesting and implementing changes to manufacturing or tooling for cost reduction/improvements; reviewing all standards for accuracy; maintaining cost within approved budget for the function.
- Confers with management, engineering and other staff regarding manufacturing capabilities, production schedules and other considerations to facilitate production processes
- Provides support to manufacturing to ensure product is mfg and assembled based on the intended functionality of the design
- Establishes work measurements programs and analyze work samples to develop standards for labor utilization
- Recommends methods of improving worker efficiency and reducing wastes of materials and utilities such as restructuring job duties, reorganizing work flow, relocating work stations and equipment and purchase of equipment
- Perform root cause analysis and implement corrective action for non-conforming parts, dispositions, and assemblies.
- Works diligently with Manufacturing and Quality departments to develop mechanisms that will improve quality, provide realistic schedules, standardize processes and reduce costs
- Selects, develops and evaluates personnel to ensure functional objectives are met
- Responsibilities outlined for all direct reports job descriptions noted above.
- Other projects and tasks as assigned.
- Previous experience as a Project Engineer or Engineering Manager.
- Track record of problem solving and solid decision making
- Ability to lead cross-functional/department teams
- Working knowledge of injection molding, material master maintenance, BOM’s, routings and work centers
- Working knowledge of cost accounting fundamentals and labor reporting
- Engineering Manager must have a good understanding of tooling, machinery, processing and materials used in injection and blow molding and keep up to date on materials and machinery in the market place;
- Should be able to recommend and be responsible for selection and acquisition of new plant machinery upon approval of capital expenditure requisition.
- BS or MS degree in Mechanical Engineering or other technical discipline desired.
- 8+ years experience engineering management required.
- Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, or otherwise moving objects
- Worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform activities such as:
- Preparing and analyzing data and figures
- Viewing a computer screen
- Extensive reading
- Visual inspection involving small defects, small parts, and/or operating machines
- Using measurement devices
- Assembly or fabrication of parts at distance close to the eyes
- Worker is subject to inside environmental conditions: Protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature change
- Worker is subject to noise: Sufficient noise to cause a worker to shout to be heard above ambient noise
- Worker is subject to hazards: Includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat, or exposure to chemicals
At Viant, we focus on providing end-to-end solutions for medical device OEMs. Our deep materials expertise—combined with our experience in engineering, manufacturing, assembly, packaging, and sterilization—allows us to bring our customers’ healthcare solutions to market. We have facilities across the U.S. and around the world, including low-cost facilities in Costa Rica, China, Mexico, and Puerto Rico.
Viant provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Viant complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.