Design Assurance Engineer III
REPORTS TO: Director, Quality or Senior Manager, Design Assurance
The primary purpose of this job is to support new product development to ensure that the desired design performance is achieved meeting the applicable medical device FDA/European regulatory requirements and companies Policies & Procedures. The Design Assurance Engineer will ensure a successful transfer of newly developed product to production, while supporting design phases concept through launch.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Adheres to GB Core Beliefs and all safety and quality requirements including, but not limited to: Quality Management Systems (QMS), Environmental Management Systems (EMS), U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, Company policies and operating procedures, and other regulatory requirements.
- As a quality Core Team member, actively participates in development project teams. Performs quality/reliability engineering activities to ensure that the design/development procedures, design controls, supplier controls and test requirements are fulfilled. Builds consensus where appropriate.
- Leads Risk Management (ISO 14971) activities. May leads cross functional teams in planning, analyses (DFMEA, FTA, Risk/Benefit) and mitigations. Maintains risk management file for the life of the device.
- Generates and/or reviews related project deliverables such as: design verification and design validation protocols and reports as well as process validation protocols and reports. Coordinates with R&D in the review of technical documentation.
- Works with Product Development Manufacturing Engineering in the development of test fixtures, develop production acceptance criteria and test methodology.
- Coordinates sourced item qualification activities and supports supplier risk management initiatives. Conducts Independent review of DHF and Technical files, provides technical standards interpretation, and determines appropriate statistical methods, including sample size determination.
- Provides support in conducting root cause analyses, preparation of CAPA and Distributed Product Risk Assessment. Draft and update SOPs as required.
- Performs other functions as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related field required. Master’s Degree preferred.
- 5-7 years of experience.
- Practical knowledge of FDA Quality System Regulations, ISO 13485 and Medical
- Practical knowledge of ISO 14971, and related standards
- General familiarity with industry best practices in development, testing and manufacturing processes.
- Experience in interpreting design schematics and drawings.
- Preferred experience with FDA and European regulated medical devices
- Skilled in statistical methods e.g. ANOVA, SPC, test sample size selection plans, Gauge R&R, and DOE.
- Demonstrated proficiency utilizing quality lean sigma tools (e.g. Root Cause Analysis, QFD, Ishikawa, Kepner-Tregoe).
- Experience in establishing and implementing quality metrics for product development.
- Strong collaboration, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent technical writing.
At Viant, we focus on providing end-to-end solutions for medical device OEMs. Our deep materials expertise—combined with our experience in engineering, manufacturing, assembly, packaging, and sterilization—allows us to bring our customers’ healthcare solutions to market. We have facilities across the U.S. and around the world, including low-cost facilities in Costa Rica, China, Mexico, and Puerto Rico.
Viant provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Viant complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.